Thursday, November 27, 2014

UNIT 10 EXPOSURE AND FOCUS ON FORM



UNIT 10 EXPOSURE AND FOCUS ON FORM

 

In this unit I learnt that experts say that there are two ways to learn a foreign language, the first is by exposure, and this works better for young learners that pick up the language easily, just like they acquire their first language. However, here it was found that for adult or older learner exposure is not enough and they have to focus on form, which is to notice how language works like grammar pronunciation or functions.
Then, we analyze the ways in how we learn a language. First, that after acquisition you are able to work the language out. Second, interaction when we can understand if people understand us or not. Talking about interaction and acquisition it is a quick way to learn from my own experience that is what helped me to work out the language.
For this reason I will encourage role plays in my classroom so students will find a source where they can use the language with comprehension tasks and they can be exposed to it.



http://www.childrenlearninglanguages.com/Bilingualism_and_Multilingualism/Early_exposure.html (Castrejon, 2011)

http://www.thelanguagebear.com/exposure-to-the-target-language-how-much-is-necessary/ (Johnson, 2013)
http://www.novitasroyal.org/Vol_4_1/baleghizadeh.pdf (BALEGHIZADEH, 2010)

4 comments:

  1. I really like the links you published since they are very intereting. I looked on them and they were reliable
    So. I get new strategies to applying in my classes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope yo will make the best use of them!

      Delete
  2. Criss your advices are really useful because as teachers we need to focus on form, to make students aware of the uses of the language. Also, as a you mentioned interaction because experience will teach us to succeed and improve each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cris, very precise reflection on how to learn a language by acquiring it or by focusing on form!
    Your suggestion that role plays are a good strategy to be exposed to the language and so to the focus on forms is very interesting I have not thought about that so I will start doing that with my students!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete